ISO 45001:2018 - Occupational Health & Safety Management System Certification
What is the ISO 45001 standard?
Every day thousands of lives are lost in workplace accidents or as a result of illnesses linked to work activities. The ISO 45001:2018 sets the international standard for Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Management Systems. It helps organisations proactively manage their OH&S risks and improve their OH&S performance.
Safety is a serious business. Organisations worldwide who are serious about safety, reducing workplace risks and creating safer working conditions are certifying to this international occupational health and safety standard.
ISO 45001:2018 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems replaces OHSAS 18001 and AS 4801. If your organisation is either OHSAS 18001 or AS 4801 certified, you will need to update to the new ISO 45001 standard.
TQCSI is here to help you become newly certified or bring your existing certification up to date. Navigating the standard without the help of an expert can be difficult. We’re the experts in ISO 45001, so you don’t have to be.
Benefits of a ISO 45001 Management System
ISO 45001 certification shows that you take the safety and wellbeing of your employees seriously. A standardised OH&S management system helps you to manage risks, reduce workplace incidents and ensure that everyone gets home safely.
The benefits of an ISO 45001 certified Occupational Health and Safety Management System are varied, including:
- creating a safe and healthy workplace
- improved OH&S performance
- developing and implementing a OH&S policy and objectives
- establishing a systematic and auditable process for managing OH&S risks
- minimises risk and reduces workplace accidents and incidents
- clear documentation requirements for managing workplace safety in your business
- encourages all levels of staff to take an active role in OH&S matters
- demonstrates due diligence by meeting regulatory requirements and customer expectations
- improves team morale and empowerment of employees
- reduced costs, including lower insurance premiums
- builds a reputation as a safe place to work
- easily integrates with other management systems
Why certify with TQCSI?
The standard focuses on the interaction between an organisation and its operating environment providing flexibility in its application. However, because of this built-in flexibility, interpreting the standard can be complex.
Our experienced team of auditors are not just experts in ISO 45001. They are also experts in local OH&S requirements and community expectations that may affect your business. We are here to ensure your path to certification is smooth sailing no matter where in the world you’re located.
Let’s get started
Whether you already have an OH&S management system in place, or you’re starting from scratch, we can help. Contact your local TQCSI office or complete our online form to get started with ISO 45001.
How to prepare for ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems certification
At TQCSI, we want to help you achieve your ISO 45001 certification quickly and easily. To help you get started, we’ve prepared a checklist of items that are often looked for during your audit.
To be ISO 45001 compliant, your organisation must:
- conduct a risk assessment of the site, plant and equipment, and processes
- understand external and internal issues relevant to workplace safety
- develop a Safety Policy declaring commitment to workplace safety
- develop a Risk Register
- develop an Safety or Management Manual briefly addressing the clauses of ISO 45001
- develop procedures to address workplace safety monitoring
- undertake Job Safety Analysis (JSA), or similar, to identify project risks
- uevelop Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) for high risk processes
- develop Safe Operating Procedures (SOPs), or similar, for high risk equipment
- develop and monitor safety objectives and targets
- develop processes to address workplace safety monitoring
- embrace workplace safety risks and opportunities
- ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and codes of practice
- implement workplace inspections
- monitor safety performance
- plan responses to workplace safety emergencies
- report and investigate accidents and incidents
- control safety nonconformances and take corrective action for significant or repetitive nonconformances
- conduct internal audits of the safety management system
- ensure senior management strategically review the safety management system
- ensure staff are competent and understand the safety management system
The following documentation must be in place to support your Occupational Health & Safety Management System:
- Risk Assessments (site, plant/equipment and processes)
- Safety Policy
- Risk Register
- Safety or Management Manual
- Job Safety Analysis (JSA), or similar
- Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS)
- Safe Operating Procedures (SOPs), or similar
- Safety Improvement or Management Plan (monitoring safety objectives and targets)
- Registers – for accidents & incidents, nonconformances and corrective action, and compliance
- Emergency Response Plan.
Implementing your Occupational Health & Safety Management System
Your ISO 45001 certified system will take a holistic approach to managing OH&S. It should encompass reporting, documentation, and processes.
TQCSI ISO 45001 Certification Process: Next Steps
- Contact your local TQCSI Office and ask for a quote or apply on-line - TQCSI will need to know what your business does and how many employees (full time equivalent)
- To prevent delays, don’t wait until your Safety Management System is fully implemented.
Certification Mark for ISO 45001 Safety Management Systems
Once you have achieved full compliance with ISO 45001 standard, you can proudly display the TQCSI certification mark. It is an internationally recognised symbol of certified quality and safety.