ISO 14001:2015 - Requirements
What is the ISO 14001 standard?
The ISO 14001 standard sets the international best practice for environmental performance management. It helps organisations create a standardised approach to managing their environmental and sustainability objectives.
ISO 14001 is a generic management system standard that can be applied to any business regardless of size, activity, or sector. There are over 300,000 businesses in 171 countries with ISO 14001 certification and growing. Whether you are a small, single-site operator or a multi-national organisation, an ISO 14001 certification can offer you a competitive advantage.
Benefits of ISO 14001 – Environmental Certification
A certified Environmental Management System (EMS) demonstrates your commitment to the environment across all levels of your organisation.
As the focus on environmental sustainability increases, many businesses are looking for ways to reduce their environmental impact, including choosing supply partners that share their values. An EMS helps you to systematically manage your environmental responsibilities and remain accountable.
The benefits of an ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System include:
- achieving your environmental sustainability objectives
- improving your environmental performance
- demonstrating your commitment to environmentally sound practices
- meeting environmental sustainability requirements for tenders
- establishing a reputation as an environmentally conscious organisation
- creating a marketing advantage for environmentally sustainable operations
- minimise risk and reduce environmental incidents
- better use of resources and reduced waste
- reduce operating costs, leading to increased profits
- meeting altruistic and ethical obligations
Why certify with TQCSI?
TQCSI has provided ISO 14001 certifications for all kinds of businesses around the world. Each of our offices is staffed with a team of local experts to make your certification process simple.
We’re not just for big business. Our proven certification systems and global network make it simple and affordable for organisations of all sizes to achieve ISO 14001 certification for their environmental management system.
Let’s get started
To start your certification journey, contact your local TQCSI office or complete our online form. You don’t need to wait until your Environmental Management System is implemented; for speedy certification, contact us today.
How to prepare for ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems certification
At TQCSI, we aim to make your ISO 14001 certification approach fast, hassle-free and straightforward. We start by assessing your systems, processes and supporting documentation and performing a gap analysis to identify areas that need to be addressed. You can put your best foot forward by using the guidelines below to prepare for a stress-free certification process.
Environmental Management System Requirements
Based on the same higher-Level structure that all ISO management system standards follow, ISO 14001 is not a prescriptive document, rather it specifies requirements to allow organisations to achieve intended outcomes they set for their environmental management system.
An Environmental Management System (EMS) requires organisations to:
- conduct an Initial Environmental Review (or equivalent) to identify the potential environmental aspects and impacts for the organisation’s premises, processes and products
- develop and monitor environmental objectives and targets
- understand external & internal issues, and interested parties, relevant to the environment
- develop an Environmental Policy declaring commitment to environmental sustainability
- develop an Environmental Aspects & Impacts Register
- develop an Environmental or Management Manual addressing the clauses of ISO 14001
- develop procedures to address environmental monitoring, where required
- embrace environmental risks and opportunities throughout the business
- ensure compliance with regulatory and customer requirements
- ensure staff are competent and understand the environmental management system
- monitor environmental performance
- plan responses to emergencies and mitigate environmental damage
- control environmental nonconformances and take corrective action for significant or repetitive nonconformances
- conduct internal audits of the environmental management system
- ensure senior management strategically review the environmental management system.
To become certified to the ISO 14001:2015 standard, businesses must have the following documentation:
- Initial Environmental Review (or equivalent audit)
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Aspects & Impacts Register
- Environmental or Management Manual
- Environmental Management or Improvement Plan (monitoring environmental objectives and targets)
- Registers – for nonconformances and corrective action, and compliance
- Emergency Response Plan.
Implementing a Quality Management System
To achieve your ISO 14001 certification, your EMS should demonstrate a risk-based approach to managing, reporting and documenting the environmental impacts of your business operations.
TQCSI Certification Process
- Contact your TQCSI Office and ask for a quote or apply on-line - TQCSI will need to know what your business does and how many employees (full time equivalent)
- To prevent delays, don’t wait until your Environmental Management System is fully implemented.
A trusted mark for Environmental Management System certification
Once your EMS has been certified, you can proudly display the TQCSI certified tick to promote your ISO 14001 certification.